西崎崇子 - 3650 夜

Friday, April 4, 2008

Glossophobia and its cure!? Toastmasters VS. Old Me


- The Damansara Utama Toastmasters Club in Mid Valley (March 23, 2008) -

Toastmasters is an educational organization that helps members worldwide to improve their public speaking skills. Originated in the US, it has been in operation for more than 50 years (or so according to one of them!!!)


Just 2 weeks before this I attended my very first Toastmasters club as a guest :-) Didn’t join though…I don’t really think I have stage fright issues…ok maybe I DO have a leeeeetle…


Then there I was. In MPH Mid Valley reading some volume by this brainiac Tony Buzan. Then I heard rolls of laughter and some of the staff were talking to some big shot-lookalikes. People were gathering in the center course and I saw my sister, the always-comical Christine—who was making funny eye contacts and waving impatiently at me gesturing that someone has taken my seat :-)—and went over only to find myself sandwiched in between Christine and a 180-lbs. Just my luck…


When the session started (which I mistakenly thought it was an autograph-signing session by some unknown author) there were five speakers. They went on and on and on and on I thought I’d never see the light of day again~ The emcee was probably the liveliest of them all…plus she was cute too (that was why the guys stayed back) Some of them were so good they didn’t strike me as former introverts…


One of the speakers even mentioned something as far as imagining all the audience naked. Gross…


When I was in primary and secondary school I had plenty of practices. I was also in the school’s debate team, and emceed English week for a few times a year (which was really fun I’d say!!!) I wouldn’t say I don’t have stage fright, but if any glossophobics out there who [HAPPEN] to read this, here’s my advice: DON’T imagine everyone naked…for God’s sake!!! But try to imagine they’re all low lives, pond scums and losers, people who want to see you fail so bad so that you’d stoop AS LOW as them…hahaha…yes, that’s WHAT I was thinking when I did my part in secondary school…and it WORKED!!! Looking down on others make me feel superior about myself (!?) My confidence/courage was oozing as I imagined that everyone out there was looking up to me…Haha, haha…

No comments: